We are seeking an Editor for Early Music America magazine who can develop great, original, and timely ideas and see those ideas through the entire editorial process—from conception to publication. This involves hiring and working closely with outside contributors on their articles to refine their ideas and work; working collaboratively with the Early Music America staff and the Publications Committee of the board, and with a graphic designer. This is a tremendous opportunity for someone with a passion for early music to work with EMA and the countless professionals, amateurs, and exuberant fans of this genre via Early Music America Magazine published four times a year.
Reports to: Executive Director
Start date: July/August 2014 preferred
- manage the editorial process for Early Music America magazine, a quarterly publication of Early Music America
- plan, assign, and manage the features department of the magazine, integrating content with other digital platforms
- manage editors, contributors and columnists, assisting with column development, planning, and editing
- assist with the assignment and development of multimedia content for other editorial products, including, but not limited to the magazine’s website, social media platforms, electronic newsletters, and video production
- edit articles, including substantive editing/rewriting and proofreading
- write articles, columns as needed
- work with outside design/production company
- maintain magazine schedule, set and enforce deadlines
- oversee peer review and citation checking processes
- participate in meetings with EMA staff and Board
- work with EMA Executive Director, staff, and Publications Committee of the Board to develop article ideas, assess articles, and consider quarterly thematic ideas when appropriate
- 8-10 years of experience as an editor, preferably at a magazine managerial experience
- excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills and the ability to impart them to subordinates
- ability to edit complex subject matter
- superb organizational skills
- ability to juggle multiple tasks
- strong communication skills
- diplomacy and sound judgment in managing interactions with people at all levels inside and outside the organization
- keen eye for detail
- EMA’s editorial team is small, and applicants must therefore have proven ability to work independently and efficiently under deadlines
- experience with social media and web platforms preferred
- a passion for early music preferred
Early Music America is a national nonprofit service organization for the field of early music in North America. Founded in 1985, EMA expands awareness of, and interest in, the music of the Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical periods performed on period instruments using historical performance practices.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Ann Felter, Executive Director, Early Music America via firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, tell us why you would be the perfect Editor for our magazine and include salary expectations. No phone calls please.
Applications accepted until Friday, November 22 or until a suitable candidate is found.
posted September 23, 2013