Early Music America recognizes that the future of early music rests in the hands of today’s young performers and the institutions that shape them. The Young Performers Festival brings together students and ensembles from colleges, universities and conservatories throughout North America to perform a series of concerts.
Early Music America will select 6-8 ensembles to perform as part of its Young Performers Festival from June 2-6, 2014 in Berkeley, California during the Berkeley Music Festival. EMA will cover the cost of the venue rental for the Festival and will publicize the Festival concerts through its newsletter, website, and magazine, among other things.
The application process for the 2014 Young Performers Festival is closed.
Young Performers Festival Travel Grants
Ensembles applying for the Festival are eligible for EMA travel grants. EMA awards travel grants of $1,000 each to a small number of ensembles selected for the Festival. In order to be considered for a travel grant, ensembles must submit the young performers festival college-level ensemble travel grant application along with the young performers festival application form & required attachments.
Young Performers Festival Ensemble Eligibility
Applicants must be directors of college or university early music ensembles from schools in the US or Canada. Although the term “early music” is used in different ways at different institutions, for the purposes of this Festival, it is used to denote an ensemble that fits the following criteria:
• The ensemble devotes its attention primarily to music before ca. 1750.
• The ensemble gives attention to matters of historical performance.
• Where instrumental performance is involved, the ensemble performs on period instruments OR is working towards the goal of using a period-instrument based group.
- The majority of participants must be students enrolled in a degree program at the ensemble’s home institution. The ensemble may include non-student community participants and/or faculty members as well, as long as they are fewer than one-third the members in the ensemble.
- Either the director of the ensemble or the school must be a member of EMA.
Timetable and application process
The deadline for submission was Friday, December 6, 2013.
Click below for the application form for the Young
Performers Festival and Young Performers Festival College-level Ensemble Travel
Application form (MS Word file; 48KB), or
Application form (PDF file; 222KB)
A panel of 3 judges, selected by EMA, but not members of the EMA board or persons affiliated with any of the institutions applying for grants, will choose the ensembles, whom they will judge anonymously, to be selected into the Festival as well as the ensembles to receive travel grants. Selections are made based on the strength of the application and the performance quality of the recordings. Issues including but not limited to need, feasibility of project, and creativity will also be considered. Preference for the grants will be given to ensembles that have not previously been selected.
Back to main EMA Grants page.